Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Who really was Jesus

Here you will find a summary of the life of Jesus Christ. These excerpts are taken directly from the Gospel of John, which is in the Bible. No additional comments and explanations. This will give you an accurate and quick overview of Jesus' life, death, resurrection, and will, hopefully, clarify why all this is important to your life.

John 3
There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a Jew. He came to Jesus by night and said to him, "Rabbi, we know that you come from God as a teacher, because no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him."

Jesus answered him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he can not see the kingdom of God!"

Nicodemus said to him: "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born? "

Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he can not enter the kingdom of God. What is born of the flesh is flesh; and what is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you: 'You must be born again.' The wind blows where it wills; You hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from and where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit. "

Nicodemus said to him: "How can these things be?"

Jesus answered him, "Are you the teacher of Israel, and knowest not these things? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak what we know, and testify what we have seen, but receive not our witness. If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? No one has ascended into heaven except the one who descended from heaven, the Son of Man. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent the Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned; but whoever does not believe has already been condemned, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. "

John 1
In the beginning was the Word [Jesus], and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any. What came to him was life, and the life was the light of men; The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

The true light [Jesus] that enlightens every man came into the world; He was in the world and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came to his own received him not. But to all who received him he gave power to become children of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but - by God.

The Word became flesh and dwelt among us and we saw his glory - the glory as of the only Son from the Father - full of grace and truth.

John 5
In Jerusalem near the Sheep Gate a pool, which is called in Hebrew Bethesda, having five porches. In these lay a multitude of invalids - blind, lame, taken.

One man was there who had been ill for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that for a long time in that case, he says:

"Rise, take up your bed and walk!"

The man was healed, and took up his bed and walked. That day was the Sabbath. So the Jews said cured, "It's Saturday! You can not carry your bed! "

He answered them, "He who made me well said to me, 'Take up your bed and walk!'"

They asked him, "Who is that man who said to you, 'Take it and walk'?" (...) A man (...) told the Jews that it was Jesus who had healed him.

For this reason the Jews persecuted Jesus, because he did this on the sabbath. Jesus answered them, "My Father worketh hitherto, and I work."

Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only broke the Sabbath but also called God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

John 6
Jesus lifted up his eyes and saw a great company come unto him, he said to Philip, "Where shall we buy bread, that these may eat?" This he said to test him; for he himself knew what he would do.

Philip answered him: "Two hundred pennyworth of bread is not enough for each receive a little." He said to him one of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter's brother: "There is a lad here who has five barley loaves and two fish; But what are they among so many? "

Jesus said, "Have the people sit down," Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, about five thousand. Jesus took the loaves, gave thanks, and distributed to those who were seated. And so also the fish - much as they wanted.

When they were filled, he said to his disciples, "Gather up the fragments, that nothing be lost" So they gathered them and filled twelve baskets with fragments from the five barley loaves that had eaten.

"Truly, truly, I say to you, you seek me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. Work not for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life will give you the Son of Man, for the Father - God - sealed. "

They said to him, "What must we do that we may work the works of God?"

Jesus answered them, "the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent. I am the bread of life. He who comes to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth in me shall never thirst. Yes, it is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him may have eternal life and I will raise him up at the last day. "

John 7
In the last great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me! Let him drink who believes in me! As the scripture says: 'Rivers of living water will flow from within him!' "That said, the Spirit, which they were to receive that believe on him. Then indeed there was not yet come Spirit, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

When some of the people heard these words, said, "This is truly the prophet." Others said, "This is the Christ."

John 10
"Verily, verily, I say unto you the sheepfold not through the door, but climbs up some other way, is a thief and a robber. And who enters the door is the shepherd of the sheep. "

Jesus told this parable, but they do not understand what he was saying. So again Jesus said:

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired - who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep - when he sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters the Hessian is not for the sheep.

"I am the good shepherd; I know my own and my own know me, as the Father knows me and I know the Father, and lay down my life for the sheep."

"For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life to take it again. No one taketh it away, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. "

"If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. But if you do, if you all do not believe me, believe the works, so you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I in him. "

John 11
There was a sick, Lazarus of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha. So the sisters sent to him, "Lord, he whom you love is sick." Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. However, when he heard he was sick, he stayed two days in the place where he was.

Then after this he said to his disciples: "Let us go into Judaea again 'disciples said to him," Rabbi, the Jews were just trying to stone you, and are you going there? "

Jesus answered, "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but I go wake him."

Disciples said to him, "Lord, if he sleeps, he will get well." Now Jesus had spoken about his death, but they thought that talking about taking rest in sleep. Then Jesus told them plainly, "Lazarus is dead. Let us go to him! "

So when Jesus came, he found that Lazarus had already been four days in the grave. Martha said to Jesus, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But even now I know that whatever you ask of God, he will. "

Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise!"

Martha said to him: "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day." Jesus said to her: "I am the resurrection and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live. And whoever lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this? "

He said to him: "Yes, Lord! I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who comes into the world! "

When Mary came to where Jesus was and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying: "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died."

When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who followed her, was troubled in spirit and excited said, "Where have you laid him?" They answered him, "Lord, come and see!"

Jesus wept. Then the Jews said, "See how he loved him!" But some of them said, "Is not he who opened the eyes of the blind, he could not have kept this man from dying?"

Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay against it. Jesus said, "Take away the stone!"

He said to him the dead man's sister, Martha, "Lord, it stinks. This is the fourth day. "

Jesus said to her: "Did I not say that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?"

So they took away the stone. And Jesus lifted up his eyes and said, "Father, thank you for hearing me. I knew that you always hear me; but I said this because of the multitude to believe that you sent me. "

Having said this, he cried with a loud voice: "Lazarus, come out!" The dead man came out, his hands and feet were linked wrappings, and his face wrapped in a towel. Jesus said, "Loose him, and let him go!" Then many of the Jews who came to Mary and saw what Jesus did, believed in him.

But some of them went to the Pharisees and told them what Jesus had done. The chief priests and the Pharisees gathered a council. They said: "What do we do? This man does many signs. If we let him thus alone, all will believe in him! "On that day they plotted to kill him.

John 12
Nevertheless, many even of the authorities believed in him, but because of the Pharisees they did not confess to not be put out of the synagogue. For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

John 13
Now before the feast of the Passover. Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart from this world to the Father. And during supper, the devil had already put it into the heart of Judas of Simon Iscariot to betray him.

Having said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, "Truly, truly, I say to you that one of you is about to issue a" Judas went out immediately. It was night.

John 14
[Jesus speaking] "Let not your heart be troubled! Believe in God, believe also in me! In my Father's house are many mansions. If it were not so, I would have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? When I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that you also may be where I am.

"A little while and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live. In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he loves me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest. "

John 15
[Jesus speaking] "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you; Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love; as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. I have told you that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be full.

"This is my commandment: love one another as I have loved you! Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

"If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before you. If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would not have sin; and now they have seen and hated both me and my Father. But let thy word written in their law: They hated me without a cause. "

John 16
[Jesus says] "Verily, verily, I say unto you, you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice. You will be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy. Now you are in sorrow: but I will see you again; and your hearts will rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you. The Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came out from God. I came from the Father and have come into the world. I am leaving the world and going to the Father. "

John 17
These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven and said:

"Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son may glorify thee, and thou hast given him power over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and whom you have sent - Jesus Christ.

"I have glorified thee on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

"And now I come to thee, and these things I speak in the world that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. I have given them your word and the world has hated them because they are not of the world even as I am not of the world.

"I pray not only for these disciples but also for those who through their word to believe in me.

"Righteous Father, the world hath not known thee, I knew thee; and these have known that thou hast sent me. And I made known to them your name, and will make it known, that the love with which you loved me may be in them - and I in them. "

John 18
As he said this, he went to Jesus and his disciples to the Kidron valley. There was a garden, into which he and his disciples. Knew the place and Judas, who betrayed him, because Jesus often met there with his disciples. Judas then, having received a band and from the chief priests and Pharisees, cometh thither with lanterns and torches and weapons.

Knowing what to do with him, went forth, and Jesus asked them, "Whom do you seek?"

They answered him, "Jesus of Nazareth."

Jesus said to them: "I am!" Stood with them, and Judas, who betrayed him. Then the band and the captain and the Jews seized Jesus and bound him.

Pilate [steward] said, "What accusation do you bring against this man?"

They answered him, "If this man were not an evildoer, we would not have handed him over."

Pilate said to them: "Take him yourselves and judge him according to your law." The Jews answered him: "We are not allowed to put anyone to death" - to fulfill the word which Jesus had spoken to show by what death he should die.

John 19
Then Pilate took Jesus and scourged him. And the soldiers platted a crown of thorns and put it on his head; and put on him a purple robe. They kept coming up to him and saying, "Hail, King of the Jews!" And they struck him.

And Pilate went out again and said to them: "Here I bring him out to know I find no fault in him."

So Jesus came out with the crown of thorns and the purple robe. Pilate said to them: "Behold the man!" And when they saw him the chief priests and ministers, cried out, "Crucify, crucify him!"

Pilate said to them: "Take him yourselves and crucify him: for I find no fault in him."

The Jews answered him: "We have a law, and by that law he ought to die because he made himself the Son of God."

When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he was more afraid went again into the palace and said to Jesus, "Where are you from?" But Jesus gave him no answer. Then Pilate said, "Do not speak to me? Do not you know that I have power to release you, and have power to crucify you? "Jesus answered," You would have no power over me if it were given thee from above. Therefore hath the greater sin he who delivered me to you. "

From then on Pilate sought to release him. But the Jews cried out, "Away! Remove! Crucify him! "Then they handed him over to be crucified.

They took Jesus. And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the Skull, in Hebrew Golgotha. There they crucified him.

Afterwards, Jesus knowing that all was now finished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, said, "I thirst." Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar. And natakoše on izopovu reed sponge with vinegar, and is to his mouth. When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished!" And he bowed his head, gave up the ghost.

How was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the Sabbath, that day is great that sabbath was the Jews asked Pilate that their legs broken and to take off.

So the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first and the other who had been crucified with him. When they came to Jesus and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs: But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and immediately there came out blood and water.

After this Joseph of Arimathea, who was - secretly, for fear of the Jews - a disciple of Jesus, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus. And Pilate gave him leave. So he came and took away his body. Nicodemus - which at the first came to Jesus by night - and may bring about a hundred pounds a mixture of myrrh and aloes. They took the body of Jesus and bound it in linen cloths with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.

Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden and in the garden a new tomb in which no one was yet laid. So because of the Jewish day of Preparation, since the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus.

John 20
The first day of the week, early in the morning, still dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and saw that the stone from the tomb. So she ran and went to Simon Peter and the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and said to them: "They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid him."

So Peter and the other disciple, and came to the sepulcher. They both ran, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. He bent down and saw the linen cloths lying, but did not go.

Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb. He saw the linen cloths lying, and the napkin, that was about his head, but he was not with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in one place. Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulcher, and he saw and believed. For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise from the dead. Then the disciples went back home.

But Mary stood weeping outside the tomb weeping. She wept, she peered into the tomb and saw two angels in white, sitting where the body of Jesus had lain - one at the head, one at the feet.

They said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping?"

She said to them: "They have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him."

Having said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.

Jesus said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking? "

Thinking he was the gardener, she said to him: "Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I'll take it."

Jesus said to her, "Mary!" She turned and said to him in Hebrew, "Rabboni!" - Which means "Teacher"

Jesus said to her: "Do not hold me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father, but go to my brothers and tell them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'"

Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples: "I have seen the Lord, and he told me that."

The evening of that day, the first of the week, while students are in fear of the Jews, the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, "Peace be with you!"

As he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you! As the Father sent me, so I send you. "As he said this, he breathed on them and said to them," Receive the Holy Spirit. "

Thomas, called Didymus, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. Therefore said to him the other disciples "We have seen the Lord!"

He said to them, "Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe."

And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them. The doors were shut, but Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!"

Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands; Bring your hand and put it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. "

Thomas replied: "My Lord and my God!"

Jesus said to him: "Because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe "

No comments:

Post a Comment